Saturday, February 23, 2008

What's the point of pain

I hate pain. I hate needles with the little poke. I hate subbing my toe on the dresser corner, I hate the pain two days after a workout, I hate the pain in the head from the weather changing ( yes I’m becoming a human barometer) but what I hate most is the pain that won’t go away. The pain that no one sees. The pain and agony that lingers after you have hurt someone and can’t repair it. The pain that comes from the self doubt. The pain that comes from the self pity. The pain that comes from feeling alone. The pain of a love lost. Now some reading this may be saying Rodger, you’re just a wimp. Others may just think that I need some professional help. (I always need help). But many will understand what I’m talking about. After all, we are all the same yet different. We may come from different backgrounds, and social environments but pain is somewhat a common denominator. Yet pain serves a purpose. Pain creates a need for change. It is often through the greatest pain comes the greatest personal victory because it is when we are in pain that we do the greatest review of our lives. It is what we do with the pain which is most critical. Some will wallow in it, which is not only more painful but potentially deadly. Others view the pain as something to build upon. It is the second group which finds more success in life because when we are at our lowest, there is now where else to go but up. It is often in the pain that we find the truth of who we are. If you are in pain, I know that there is help but you must be willing to find it and use it. Reaching out can be the most painful of all but the more that we share the pain together the better we are equipped to handle the next life challenge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand your pain. When you think you have reached your lowest point, trust me when I say, you can always go lower and feel worse. I am not sure if the pain will ever stop or if I will ever know which direction to go. I am lost...